[FSUG-Bangalore] FSUG - Karnataka

renuka prasad renukaprasadb at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 17:42:49 IST 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 3:30 PM, Vikram Vincent <vincentvikram at swatantra.org>
wrote:

> Hi Renuka,
>
> 2008/6/2 renuka prasad <renukaprasadb at gmail.com>:
>
>> OK FREEDOM FIGHTERS ----all are pumped up..
>>
>> well let me tell my views on these
>>
>> 1) if we have to plan for the f oundation and fsf-karnataka is the
>> intention ( free software foundation - karnataka ) first thing is where will
>> the contributors contribute the funds --- this is my my first worry -- i
>> will contribute 1000 Rs for that as a fund the day it sarts -- but where is
>> the website where i can donate online --- i cant take DD and do other things
>> ( assume )
>

> Any proposed FSF-Kn will be a registered Not-for-profit organisation and
> accounting will take place accordingly.
> I'm sure that we can focus on that once the ground work is put in place.

if the intention is a non profit one, accountablity -- well if the intention
is contribution why dont we we contribute to fsf-india itself ... we get all
benefit as we get for any donations in one way and also utilization of money
---- regarding all these -----do we really need a non profit organization ?
i could not uderstand could you please tell more about your ideas and
visions about this ...

>> 2)fsf-karnataka -- if the events happens independent of fsf-india then i
>> feel we need to rethink on these
>

> When we say that activities indepedent of FSF-India we do not mean
> independent of principles or goals but rather activities taking local
> conditions and issues into consideration.

exactly true activities will happen keeping in mind about the local
conditions and issues --- we are part of fsf india there should not be any
thouht independent of fsf india --- i think there are more experienced and
knowledgeable people in fsf india who can take up this issue and see how
they can help us in understanding these things --atleast for me , as i am
not as knowledgeable than those who are for sure i know reading these
mails... it is always better to go in line with fsf india -- i feel whether
parallel or simultaneous activities all have the same intentions --- i am
only afraid that if we go on like this fsf-karnataka , then fsf-bangalore ,
then fsf-rvce , then fsf-bms then fsf-st josephs etc etc ---where will this
list end up -- this is the only concern i had --- so i need to understand
more abt fsf-karnataka need till few more years... since my and few of my
friends are part of some non profit organization i felt like telling these
things ---

>> 3) fsf-india itself has to become more stronger -- lets work towards that
>> first
>

> This is a simultaneous process rather than a linear one.
>

>> 5 ) So good that we have a separate fsf ----- when it is a foundation then
>> i thing there is need for lot of ground work to be done -- i feel another
>> two more years are needed to make FSUG more in karnataka then we can form a
>> fsf - karnataka
>

> There are certain basic organisational requirements to be fulfilled first.
> For example, strong campus level self sustaining groups in at least a few
> institutions, a committed local team, an educational institution who will
> provide certain minimum resources and infrastructure, etc... I feel that we
> do not have to wait two years but the timeline will be decided by our
> activities. We hope that RVCE, BMSCE, St. Joseph's, Christ's and other
> communities will play a major role in this.

vikram let me share some of my experience about college level or institution
level self sustaining groups --- i will take example of my own college ---
we recently conducted a workshop about authoring scientific and technical
documents using LaTeX which was done by Dr C.S. Yogananda and his team SJCE
mysore --- see it was a need that makes people get used to the softwares or
whatever for the sake of need .... well our trust sponsored for this 2 day
workshop which costed 26000 Rs inclusing all material .. here what i want to
tell is neither principal nor college management knew abt free softwares but
now good news is that 60 of the faculties know abt free softwares

y i am telling this is one of the speaker was Prof Anand Murthy , HOD of
Mechanical department of SJCE , Mysore is one of the package managers of
Zenwalk --- in his college he has seen that his department labs are
completely on GNU /Linux --- so the free software movement is not mainly
from the institution it the freedom fighters who will take decision about
this --- today i am in RVCE any time i will leave that college Then? in
MYsore SJCE college all question papers are maintained using ODF standards
--- so i think they are doing better than any other institutions ( to my
knowledge -- correct if it is wrong ) infact they have implemented a quiz
tool where it is required to evaluate 16000 papers every semester thrice
using latex ---

So whether institutions give resource or not it the each individual freedom
fighter who will make the change

THis also reminds a school teacher in kanakapura who sets question papers of
all languages using LaTeX and spreading it to other schools -----

I think we need to work more in creating awareness about using free
softwares at school , college , institution , university levels solving the
need of the teachers , student , and management , etc etc finally community

 There are many people who are working a lot and contributing a lot --- so
we need to take every one into confidence so this is not the right time to
rush up -- lets keep on creating awareness time will only tell us what to do
----

> 6) foundation means lot of contributions would pur in then who will manage
>> all that and then there are many events have to be regualarly organized
>> through out
>> ---- so first lets make the community aware of the free softwares through
>> out state and then we shall decide and do very organized way
>>
>> So if we think practically and morally we need to become much more
>> stronger and create more and more awareness then we can think of
>> fsf-karnataka
>>
>> if fsf karnatak is very much necessary then i can talk to some of the
>> people who can even contribute offcie space and other things necessary -- i
>> cant do that until and unless some concreate work is not shown
>

> That will be cool.

Ya many more cool thing will happen -- let us have some patience ---
ofcourse every one have the freedom to chooose

>> These are my views ----- so lets meet once ( FSUG -Bangalore or wherever
>> you are ) and have more discussions
>>
>> Sure.

i think it is the right time for all of us to meet once .......