[ILUG-BOM] Tata Indicom CDMA USB Modem not working with GNU/Linux [solved]

km km at eficacy.com
Sun Aug 10 17:15:23 IST 2008

On 7/2/08, Arun Khan <knura at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 Jul 2008, kamal wrote:
>  > Arun Khan wrote:
>  > > On Wednesday 02 Jul 2008, Mehul Ved wrote:
>  > >> On Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 09:39:35AM +0530, Arun Khan wrote:
>  > >>> km needs to add the opendns entries *after* the connection is
>  > >>> established.  It is being overwritten by DNS supplied by ISP but
>  > >>> I don't think this is root cause of his problem.
>  > >>
>  > >> As per that thread, there is an option Auto DNS, setting it off
>  > >> might help, as in the case of one of the people there.Thus, the
>  > >> /etc/resolv.conf file won't be overwritten.
>  > >
>  > > The stock Ubuntu version ignores AutoDNS setting, works in openSUSE
>  > > though.
>  > >
>  > > -- Arun Khan
>  >
>  > is there a way it can be worked around in Ubuntu? It worked fine with
>  > doze.
>

> I gave you a workaround; you have not reported yet whether it works for
>  you or not.
>
>  read my other post, even though there is an option to ignore ISP DNS,
>  the Ubuntu wvdial ignores it in and pops in the DNS servers from the
>  ISP (this has been my experience).
>
>  Anyway, given that you have 2 NICs and now a Indicom connection (3 'net
>  connections), you basically have a "def. route" routing problem.
>
>  -- Arun Khan

It surely was this problem. :) Thank you very much all Linuxers for all the
help with this issue. I finally got things working, although I do not completely
understand how :P

However, I am really glad to post to the list from the `problem-machine`,
of course the problem's solved

@Arun: the sources you've linked to here are great help. I am trying to
catch up with the basics as much as i can. :) Thanks a ton.

--
Regards
km