[ILUG-BOM] Tata Indicom CDMA USB Modem not working with GNU/Linux

km km at eficacy.com
Sun Aug 10 17:36:11 IST 2008

On 7/2/08, jtd <jtd at mtnl.net.in> wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 Jul 2008 19:25, Rony Bill wrote:
>  > On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Arun Khan <> wrote:
>  > > Anyway, given that you have 2 NICs and now a Indicom connection
>  > > (3 'net connections), you basically have a "def. route" routing
>  > > problem.
>  >
>  > I second that. In our excitement to get things working we forget
>  > about the existing eth0 that's the default route.
>  >
>  > KM, simply run 'sudo route add default ppp0' after your usb modem's
>  > ppp0 is up. Once this is confirmed to be the solution, remove or
>  > comment the default gateway entry for eth0 in
>  > /etc/network/interfaces and reboot your machine.
>  >
>  > Yes reboot, not restart networking services.
>

> route del default gw 192.168.whatever .
>  route add defalut gw <ip of ppp0>
>
>  --
>  Rgds
>
> JTD

Many thanks. I think this is what got me going. However, I am sure
I did something wrong with the commands initially and got it all screwed
up. :P

AFAIR, after doing a
# route del default gw
I did not find the /etc/network/interfaces file in place; it just disappeared!
 (is this expected? could not understand that from the man page on route`.)

However, I had a backup copy (incidentally a much older, cleaner backup :P )
of the interfaces file that i restored. And things seemed workable henceforth.

Although, this seems to be a pretty dirty way of getting around a problem
and i am still foxed as to what was a proper systematic approach to solve it.
I am reading up on this, and will surely catch up pretty soon.

Apologies for late response. Reasons include trying to figure out things the
D-I-Y way, though i wonder how much that worked :P, and of course,
work-loads a wee-bit heavier than i could handle. :)

Many thanks again to all who helped. :)
--
Regards
km