[ILUG-BOM] Linux with ASUS P5K64, Intel Q6600(?)...

kamal km at eficacy.com
Sun Aug 10 15:47:57 IST 2008

Mehul Ved wrote:
> On 8/10/08, km <kmorjal at gmail.com> wrote:
>>         MOTHERBOARD     P5K64 WS
>
> Looking at the specifications[1], doesn't seem it may have serious
> problems, except if you're planning to use crossfire. I have no idea
> about crossfire support on linux.

i think it's SLI compatible.

>>         GPU             NVidia GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
>>                         (denied availability of all specific makes i
>>                         mentioned; ZOTAC, XFX, ASUS) :(
>
> Try rashi peripherals[2]. But why are you buying a crossfire
> compatible board with a Nvidia graphics cards?

Both the nVidia graphic card and the specified MoBo are SLI compatible,
although I won't be using it at least in the immediate future; i look
forward to have a dual graphic card setup soon though. Therefore SLI.
AFAIK, Crossfire is specific to ATI cards. I just hope I did my homework
right :)
Will check on this once more and will confirm.

>>         RAM             2 X 2GB Transcend Modules
>>                         (I've heard that windoze xp (32 bit) etc do not
>>                         support more than 3GB of RAM; never confirmed
>>                         though. But I would be most interested to learn,
>>                         if there is any such limitation with 32 bit
>>                         Linux distros too! I would be mostly using
>>                         32-bit platform for now)
>
> Check highmem and bigmem. Also, see this article[5]

Sure, thanks a lot, will check this out too.

>>  I believe the other components (HDD, Monitor, etc), should not
>>  be a matter of any concern in this regard, however, please share
>>  any experiences if you will :)
>
> Not related to linux, but avoid Samsung optical drives, I have seen
> quite a few people facing problems with it after a year. It's either
> with the tray or with reading the discs.

Yep. I agree. I will go for an LG or LiteOn one. Most probably an LG
one. Hope the new SATA DVD RW drives pose no problem with Linux.
Any experience with these?

> 1. http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=1692&l1=3&l2=11&l3=534&l4=0
> 2.  http://www.rptechindia.com/New/Main%20Page.asp
> 3.
> 4.
> 5. http://www.linux.com/feature/119287
Thank you very much for taking time to consider my query Mehul :)

Regards
kamal