[ILUG-BOM] Re: Pitching Linux to corporates?

krishnakant Mane researchbase@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Sep 22 19:58:18 IST 2006

On 23/09/06, Rony <ronbillypop at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello Krish,
ah, just was wondering why u were keeping quite.
> Your strategy for promoting linux is too focused on attacking M$. Forget
> MS and its usage. Promote linux purely on its own strengths and to
> people who *deserve* linux.
wrong, I have clearly said I am not against any one personally.  but
the point is I am trying to seek out points and tips to market nothing
but the truth.  and I am aware that doing this is a big task.  may be
we might perhaps never be able to touch certain sectores and wont be
allrounders like M$.
> Just as any marketing strategy, first be
> very clear on what you exactly want to offer to your clients and what
> can you actually offer.
I suppose I made it very clear.  make people believe in the concept of
free software and convince them that windows or similar products
actually will harm them if not now then in the short future.  that's
why I am trying to find out impressive points that can be put forth to
the clients except names of big companys.  because it is a wrong
notion that these big companies are doing r and d with linux and not
using them for real work.  till this concept of "windows is for real
work and linux is just trial and research" does not go, we can't do
any thing about it.
> The hardware guys who do AMCs for the clients
> are not your target, so don't bother about their opinion. Keep yourself
> ready for anti-linux barbs and jabs and be clear in your response.
roni, here the matter is not really of clear response.  every one
claims that by telling clients who uses linux will convince them for
example.  but that does not happen.  rather than being clear, we will
also have to be a bit tat full and clever.  because even when I am
clear with my response and speaking the pure truth, I fail to convince
the people just for a simple reason I told you over the phone in the
morning.  they don't want me to take over their clients because even
those hardware guys know that once I put linux on machines they are
loosing clients.  so rather I will put your point in a different way.
we must actually care what the hardware guys say and find some points
due to which rather than me, the customer himself should care a dam
for his hardware guys openion.  that will boost our chances of at
least once installing linux some where in the clients work space on
any of the computers.  and yes no matter what u tell them, they will
say "I never herd about this product and no one I heard uses it".
> Provide maximum examples of existing linux systems to shut your
> opponents up.
again, this is not proving as effective as it can.  roni, this seams
to be a common thing people are telling me.  I think in that case, may
be I am not doing some thing right.  I will perhaps request some of
you guys to help me out in this and roni in particular.  may be what
jtd suggested will be a nice thing.  trap a few people in with nascom
and then show those cases to people and create fear, uncertainty and
doubt in their minds.  or at least say so that such things can happen.
> If you see a market for porting foxpro based solutions onto linux, then
> on your laptop, create a working demo of the same and show it to your
> potential clients so there is minimum talk and maximum presentation.
wow, again that's a wonderful suggestion.  that may perhaps put one
point streight through.  as is claimed that linux can't work on real
businesses, if I use your idea that may partially set the cat amongst
the pejans in the hardware guys.  because once I show them that their
software can work on linux, they are rest ashured that linux is a
serious and professional desktop that can be used for business.  so
although fear is not gone, uncertainty will surely go.  once we
demonstrate that, then may be we will find out the ways to convince
them that this is much stable and secured.  but as you rightly said
they must at least see one thing in real to believe my words.  so
running their software is wonderful.  thanks for the suggestion roni.
> Avoid disrupting the client's working setup. You are a salesman selling
> a product, not a concept, so be ready with your product.
no, freedom of IT is also a concept and linux a product.  and we need
to convince the people that this is a new concept.

Krishnakant.