[ILUG-BOM] Re: Pitching Linux to corporates?

krishnakant Mane researchbase@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Sep 22 12:40:15 IST 2006

On 22/09/06, Devdas Bhagat <devdas at dvb.homelinux.org> wrote:
> Hmmm, perhaps they need to speak to Cisco, Nortel, Dlink, IBM, HP, NTT,
> Reliance, NIC, LIC ....
they do agree. but just a couple of days back one of my clients was
told by his hardware ghy that these big companies used it for research
because they have their own r and d department.  so it is not the toy
of common businessman.  you can very often loos data with linux. "how
funny!"

> The easiest answer to that is to carry a laptop along and actually
> demonstrate these things.
yes, I do it some times.  but the quick answer comes "it is because
you got all configured on your laptop since you want to market it.  we
are sure that the moment you try this on other computers you will have
a lot of trouble doing it and we will loos our time and business.
> Lying, and using illegal means to obtain and enforce a monopoly? Ask
> them if they support organised crime :).
for that matter people should except that this is a crime.  today
government in india does nothing against pyratted software.  most
oftenly my clients are aware that their hardware guy has put an
illeagul and pyrated copy.  but the response is "sab chalta hain".
and no matter what, windows is well tried and tested and business will
only work on that.  "your linux or what ever might look good on ur
laptop or one of my time pass computer, but windows is windows".
and open standards?  no one even knows what is odt.  people who did
get linux installed on their computers got so on one condition "my
word documents should work and I should be able to make word
documents".  and "I should be able to communicate with windows users
".  so they wont care for open or close standards.  un ko kuch padi
nahin hain freedom ki.
Krishnakant.