[ILUG-BOM] Re: listing Scenarios for usibility of linux on desktop, please contribute

krishnakant Mane researchbase@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Sep 22 12:22:56 IST 2006

On 22/09/06, jtd <jtd at mtnl.net.in> wrote:
> This is called stupid customer, not savvy marketing. Savvy marketing
> is when clever customer is shown value.
ok stupid customer, but stupid or not m$ have millions of such stupid
customers.  so what ever the case is, this is absolutely perfect brain
work.  as I said earlier only bad thing is that Mr. Bil only used it
for bad (but very very clever marketing).  making so many people fools
and keeping them so for a long time indeed needs great marketing.  how
could billions of people just except the stupidity?
> It means that U have to show savvy marketing cause M$ is already in
> there. The performance of your marketing has to be >> M$
> incumbence+legacy app+hostile HW vendor+stupid customer. If u dont
> have that savvyness tie up with Novell or RH or Canonical. They do
> some of the lifting (fancy broucher, seminars, Ads, suitnboot sales
> guy, prescence at IT digs etc.) for u. The downside is u will be
> subservient to their whims.
yes right. I think that could be one option.  and then afterall
becoming as rich as bil gaits isn't and should not be the ultimate
thing in life.
as I keep on saying why not make people happy, give them freedom and
earn money out of that instead of making them stupid out of realy
perfect marketing?
> GNU/Linux is like diamond dust great value once u coat your scalpel
> with it and u use your scalpel like a surgeon. M$ is 500 kg gorilla
> with a sledgehammer. Change your strategy and tactics.
we have to except one thing, what ever m$ is, they are a big power and
people wont leave m$ just like that.  again strong customer fooling by
m$ with excelent policies.
we rather need to appreciate the good aspects and try and find out how
we can convince people that this is a sweet taist vala drug and
nothing else.  gnu/linux is taisti as well as helthy.
> GNU/Linux is just providing the tools to climb over the barriers
> erected by closed software. U still need the skill and the will to
> climb. It's easy to do biz on the M$ bandwagon and equally easy to
> topple out from there.
exactly! now you got the point.  "you need the skill and the will" but
with windows you get the skill and the will to do your daily computing
work.  and that's the entire point.  at least with his clever
marketing bil gaits has convinced the people.  so we need to go the
same way and pull out the thorne with a thorne.  some how we must do
heavy media publicity and all that.  there is only one thing that can
defeat the bad and harmful marketing stratagy of m$, and it is winning
of trust.  and people trust media more than any thing.
> It's tuff getting your customer on the GNU train but u are assured of
> one smooth ride after that.
but Mr. Bil has made the people believe that the other train has fear,
uncertainty and doubt.  that's y most of them consider that as a toy
and a time pass experiment.  the marketing of windows sounds like
"thanda matlab cocacola".  I often here from people "come on! if you
don't use windows how will you even start your computer?".  this is my
real case story.  just think over it.
> > alas the big b of m$ did not use this brain to make those people
> > happy who actually made him so rich.
>
> And M$ by the way are not where they are because of savvy marketing.
> They are so because of a long list of illegal business practices.
> Their history is replete with skull duggery from the beginning. And
> the initial breakthrough with IBM was a combo of string pulling
> (billybaba's mom and dad were lawyers hobnobing with the high and
> mighty in IBM and the US gov) and fortuious circumstances (Gary
> Kidall and team were having a party and shooed out IBM suits). Search
> google if u want the true story.
> If u want the sick legal details it's here
> http://www.groklaw.net/staticpages/index.php?page=2005010107100653
so that is nothing to do with what people think about windows.  go and
tell this to 100 people, at least 90 will say "so what, windows is
good enough and we run our business and our day to day work.  cheeting
or bla bla bla, we don't care as long as windows works".
look jtd and all othres who are involved.  I am putting all these case
histories so that we all can fight for the truth.  and to do so, we
must appreciate the finer aspects of the other side.
as Dinesh had rightly asked "what's stopping corporates from using gnu/linux?"
Krishnakant.