[ILUG-BOM] Re: listing Scenarios for usibility of linux on desktop, please contribute

jtd jtd@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Sep 22 11:46:53 IST 2006

On Friday 22 September 2006 10:55, krishnakant Mane wrote:
> On 22/09/06, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org> wrote:
> > was it a legal copy of doze?
>
> unfortunately yes.
> they spend some money on buying windows.  office I am not sure but
> windows yes it is leagul copy.  and what if it was not?  the bottom
> line is that there is so much value to m$ that people will even
> steel the copy and use it and linux is so rubbish that people don't
> even want it for free.  see the difference?
> this is called marketing.

This is called stupid customer, not savvy marketing. Savvy marketing
is when clever customer is shown value.
It means that U have to show savvy marketing cause M$ is already in
there. The performance of your marketing has to be >> M$
incumbence+legacy app+hostile HW vendor+stupid customer. If u dont
have that savvyness tie up with Novell or RH or Canonical. They do
some of the lifting (fancy broucher, seminars, Ads, suitnboot sales
guy, prescence at IT digs etc.) for u. The downside is u will be
subservient to their whims.
GNU/Linux is like diamond dust great value once u coat your scalpel
with it and u use your scalpel like a surgeon. M$ is 500 kg gorilla
with a sledgehammer. Change your strategy and tactics.

GNU/Linux is just providing the tools to climb over the barriers
erected by closed software. U still need the skill and the will to
climb. It's easy to do biz on the M$ bandwagon and equally easy to
topple out from there.
It's tuff getting your customer on the GNU train but u are assured of
one smooth ride after that.

> alas the big b of m$ did not use this brain to make those people
> happy who actually made him so rich.

And M$ by the way are not where they are because of savvy marketing.
They are so because of a long list of illegal business practices.
Their history is replete with skull duggery from the beginning. And
the initial breakthrough with IBM was a combo of string pulling
(billybaba's mom and dad were lawyers hobnobing with the high and
mighty in IBM and the US gov) and fortuious circumstances (Gary
Kidall and team were having a party and shooed out IBM suits). Search
google if u want the true story.
If u want the sick legal details it's here
http://www.groklaw.net/staticpages/index.php?page=2005010107100653

Having said the above, if u want a piece of business pie u have to
compete with whatever thrash they throw at u. How u do it is your
problem not gnu/linux. gnu/linux is totally neutral and impartial in
the way it treats it's eco system and cares only about technical
excellence and freedom to continue being so.

--
Rgds
JTD