[ILUG-BOM] Re: Pitching Linux to corporates?

jtd jtd@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Sep 22 10:22:22 IST 2006

On Friday 22 September 2006 00:38, krishnakant Mane wrote:
> On 22/09/06, Dinesh Joshi <dinesh.a.joshi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi list,

> > their PoS running windoze can get infected with a virus then what
> > about the data of countless customers inside that terminal?

POS? that small whiny gizmo at the corner of mom-n-pop stores?. How
about ATMs. Yo those big multicolored splendours all touchy feely
thingies with a guard outside for added effect. In 2004 one of the
big banks had 600 of their ATMs infected by a trojan. The ATM co
scrambled like mad to REINSTALL the OS. Are there anymore trojans -
rubbish says IT MAN we got antivirus. This was after OS2 was replaced
by better malware. Why not linux? the code is available so it can be
hacked by anyone says IT MAN.

> frankly I have no personal grudge against airtell or even
> microsoft.

Ahh wait till M$ monkey punches your next project with new
"extensions" of standards.

> > Ahem...shouldn't somebody bring this to the notice of the media?
> > I mean I can imagine the amount of negative publicity it can
> > bring to M$ ( and not to mention Airtel hahahahaa... ). Weren't
> > their website so insecure

AD spend my friend. U wanta get them ads in your paper / channel or
not? So stupid reporter with hot story from hippy haired commies goes
to subed who refers to boss who has a fit. Reporter logs in bio to
naukri.com.

> yes, let me go one step ahead and Dr. Nagarjuna, jtd, roni and
> Dinesh will all agree, imagine a condition, there is a fully
> computerised hospitle,

Avoid computerised OT like the plague. They are filled with every type
of ultraresistant bacteria. If the wrong injection does not get u,
the very alive and kicking virus will. U see u cant disinfect
electronic stuff in an autoclave.

> > So this got me thinking...with the recent "awareness" of better
> > security in the digital domain shouldn't these corporates use
> > Linux based solutions which are inherently more secure AND
> > stable? What is stopping the adoption of Linux??

Ad spend and branding and legacy apps and IT boneheads and patented
tech and NDA for hardware specs and...
Actually nothing is. GNU/Linux adoption will follow the natural
spreading curve of any living creature in an environment. It takes
time but is absolutely unstoppable.

--
Rgds
JTD