[ILUG-BOM] Re: Pitching Linux to corporates?

krishnakant Mane researchbase@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Sep 22 00:38:15 IST 2006

On 22/09/06, Dinesh Joshi <dinesh.a.joshi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> A recent experience has left me horrified. I was recently at an Airtel
> relationship center. Their PoS terminal for paying bills via
> cash/cheques was running windoze ( Some NT variant ). To my horror the
> system constantly kept on popping up a message - "You have been
> infected by ...blah blah blah....". This message was of some vague
> antivirus but not the well known McAffee or Norton. If their PoS
> running windoze can get infected with a virus then what about the data
> of countless customers inside that terminal? Afterall it is connected
> to the internet and anybody can easily hijack it! :O
Believe it or not, even before I read the first few lines, I knew your
horrification must be linked with the m$ system.  afterall who except
the locle hardware venders are horrified by linux?  un ko kya hain,
security, stability efficiency gai bho ... main. apna kam banta to ...
main jaye janta.
exactly like cold drinks putting harmful chemicals.  they only want to
earn quick money.  if people's helth gets spoilt who care.  similarly
fair and lovely creem is spredding a wrong notion that only fair girls
are clever, confident and sexy.  I love vittish colour and I know many
do.
windows is just a similar brand and bil is one person who cares a dam
for others.
> [rant]
> I am not an Airtel customer anymore but I really wish they continue
> using Windoze and go out of business soon... :/ May they crash and burn
> in hell until eternity! >:(
> [/rant]

frankly I have no personal grudge against airtell or even microsoft.
but the thing is that every person needs to understand one basic
thing.  you can also earn money by doing good things.  earning money
by making people happy is a noble thing.  may bil gaits get this good
wisdom some day.  and if he can't and I believe he wont, at least we
all people must get together and try to market neither software
efficiency nor security but market just the truth.  and the truth of
pure business and freedom in IT Means gnu/linux.  and add the bonus of
power and virus free system.
> Ahem...shouldn't somebody bring this to the notice of the media? I mean
> I can imagine the amount of negative publicity it can bring to M$ ( and
> not to mention Airtel hahahahaa... ). Weren't their website so insecure
again I don't want any anti publicity but I am not the big b of m$ who
cares a dam for the people who have indeed made him so rich.  and if
gnu/linux is the tool to make people's IT experience true, transperent
and powerful, I will go all out to give it a publicity.
With respect to media, Shradha, our new ilug member is currently
working in Sahara, I hope she is reading this email, never the less
she is sharing my knowledge of c and python these days so we meet
every day.
> that anybody could easily get the itemized bills of any arbitrary
> customer?
yes, let me go one step ahead and Dr. Nagarjuna, jtd, roni and Dinesh
will all agree, imagine a condition, there is a fully computerised
hospitle, and there is a very emergency opperation going on.  the
doctor presses a few keys on his laptop which is connected to the
dredded windows server.  due to virus or other harmful scripts, the
data is currupt, and by mistake the data leads to injecting wrong
group of blood.  the patient gets killed.  who do you think murdered
the patient?  of course the owner of windows.  remember although you
have license and pay for windows you don't own it.
> So this got me thinking...with the recent "awareness" of better security
> in the digital domain shouldn't these corporates use Linux based
> solutions which are inherently more secure AND stable? What is stopping
> the adoption of Linux??
Dear Mr Dinesh, where were you for so many days.  seams we must meet some day.
Infact if you have read my previous thread I posted the same question.
 and jtd, roni etc are giving wonderful and precious feedback.
Krishnakant.