[ILUG-BOM] Pitching Linux to corporates?

Dinesh Joshi dinesh.a.joshi@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Sep 22 04:46:13 IST 2006

Hi list,

A recent experience has left me horrified. I was recently at an Airtel
relationship center. Their PoS terminal for paying bills via
cash/cheques was running windoze ( Some NT variant ). To my horror the
system constantly kept on popping up a message - "You have been
infected by ...blah blah blah....". This message was of some vague
antivirus but not the well known McAffee or Norton. If their PoS
running windoze can get infected with a virus then what about the data
of countless customers inside that terminal? Afterall it is connected
to the internet and anybody can easily hijack it! :O

[rant]
I am not an Airtel customer anymore but I really wish they continue
using Windoze and go out of business soon... :/ May they crash and burn
in hell until eternity! >:(
[/rant]

Ahem...shouldn't somebody bring this to the notice of the media? I mean
I can imagine the amount of negative publicity it can bring to M$ ( and
not to mention Airtel hahahahaa... ). Weren't their website so insecure
that anybody could easily get the itemized bills of any arbitrary
customer?

So this got me thinking...with the recent "awareness" of better security
in the digital domain shouldn't these corporates use Linux based
solutions which are inherently more secure AND stable? What is stopping
the adoption of Linux??

--
Dinesh A. Joshi