[ILUG-BOM] Re: listing Scenarios for usibility of linux on desktop, please contribute

jtd jtd@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Sep 21 18:03:37 IST 2006

On Thursday 21 September 2006 17:12, krishnakant Mane wrote:

> > Tell them to put a new blank disk for their data and linux. U
> > supply the disk if neccessary. End of story.
>
> if that can happen nothing like it.  even I was thinking of making
> our clients at least dual boot their machines so that they start
> using gnu/linux.  only thing is most of them will not even allow a
> machine under amc to be touched.  and they will believe more on
> their hardware guy rather than some one coming from outside.  so
> putting a new hard disk will only be at the mercy of the hardware
> personal.

I usually do it like this. Check the free space (maybe 30GB). Tell the
hardware guy u need 55gb free space. He says new disk. U say customer
will refuse. He says i will convince him. U thank him profusely.

> and all these hardware personals are not like you jtd,
> who will go all out in supporting gnu/linux.  rather many see this
> as a loss of business. they think "we know linux is secured and
> stable, once this man named kk installs even as duel boot, I will
> soon loos the service contract." so they will in all ways put fear
> uncertainty and doubt in the minds of their clients.  we need to
> address this issue very deeply.  don't you think so?  and I don't
> meen to disagree with you jtd or even hurting you.  but all are not
> like you and me.

HA ha. I take it then u havent seen the flames fly around here. I am
one thick skinned bloke ;-). U are absolutely right abt the hardware
guy masquerading as the knowall. Avoid dual boot like the plague. U
will loose all data everytime some madcap formats the disk kyonki
machine slow chal raha hai / virus hai / disk bahut din se format
nahi kiya.
Also the moment he blames a problem on linux just disconnect your
drive and he will stick out like a sore thumb. Learn the pc arch
well. Next time they dish out crap give them details of write thru
v/s write back cache and its impact on queue miss or some such
equally useless thingy on netwonking on windoze.

Remember it's a lot of hard work and nobody's running "get the facts
wright"  or "kids waving arms on bbc" ads in support of linux.

--
Rgds
JTD