[ILUG-BOM] Re: listing Scenarios for usibility of linux on desktop, please contribute

krishnakant Mane researchbase@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Sep 21 17:12:35 IST 2006

On 21/09/06, jtd <jtd at mtnl.net.in> wrote:
> There is opportunity in every segment. All it requires is a business
> plan. And hard work.
yes that is true, and it is high time some one looks at this opportunity.
> U dont have to convince them about the OS at all. Nobody gives a S***.
> All u have to do is sell them the business advantage they are going
> to gain with whatever it is u supply - online maintanence,
> reliability, multilocation software etc. etc. Dont talk price
> advantage unless u want to shortchange yourself.
well it may not work this way all the time.  the brand has  climed on
their heads feavourishly and the kind of uncertainty their hardware
guy puts against any thing which is "non-windows" some times causes
problem.  never the less it will all depend on how well we make them
understand that windows is just another way to work and linux too.
only thing is that linux will give added stability and security.  else
they don't end up loosing some thing by giving up windows.  this is
the common fear in their minds "ham windows may ye sab kar sakte hain,
linux ke sath bhi ho sakta hain kya?".
> XPee, Athlon, Intel, Ram etc lots of rubbish dished out by IT folks
> cause they lack the smarts to sell "advantage" to the customer. And
> understanding advantage is one thing that runs in his veins.
very true.  and it is just the matter of making people understand that
their computing ways don't change at all.  rather they gain some thing
at least.
> That is indeed the right track. But remember that "one size fits all"
> is false. U have to check each customers needs.
yes, as I said in the first email, I am trying to list out
possibilities where may be linux wont be able to make it on the
desktops.  so we are sure that when we approach some one, his needs
are served.  lets except there are some pockets where linux still has
to go a long way.
> Tell them to put a new blank disk for their data and linux. U supply
> the disk if neccessary. End of story.
if that can happen nothing like it.  even I was thinking of making our
clients at least dual boot their machines so that they start using
gnu/linux.  only thing is most of them will not even allow a machine
under amc to be touched.  and they will believe more on their hardware
guy rather than some one coming from outside.  so putting a new hard
disk will only be at the mercy of the hardware personal.  and all
these hardware personals are not like you jtd, who will go all out in
supporting gnu/linux.  rather many see this as a loss of business.
they think "we know linux is secured and stable, once this man named
kk installs even as duel boot, I will soon loos the service contract."
so they will in all ways put fear uncertainty and doubt in the minds
of their clients.  we need to address this issue very deeply.  don't
you think so?  and I don't meen to disagree with you jtd or even
hurting you.  but all are not like you and me.
regards.
Krishnakant.