[ILUG-BOM] Re: listing Scenarios for usibility of linux on desktop, please contribute

jtd jtd@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Sep 21 14:08:31 IST 2006

On Thursday 21 September 2006 13:28, krishnakant Mane wrote:
> On 21/09/06, jtd <jtd at mtnl.net.in> wrote:
> > Surprise. It is possible to run foxpro and dbase / clipper apps
> > on linux. U have to use dosemu. I have doen it for a small bank.
> > Besides u can convert clipper apps to run natively in linux using
> > X2c. So u have a migration path with the old apps while u change
> > over to something sensible like postgres / PHP on a host with
> > diskless thin clients. The best part is that even during the
> > transition u will not have to take flak from the customer and
> > since he is functional u can take your time on developing the new
> > apt.
>
> great!  can you provide me some more details on migrating foxpro
> apps to gnu/linux?

> JTD this is a great news and I wasn't aware of this happening.
> if this is true and if this can happen smoothly, then we have a big
> market segment at our hands.

There is opportunity in every segment. All it requires is a business
plan. And hard work.

> I now need feedback of all you people on ways we can find out to
> convince these local baniyas and retail pharmacies to understand
> and except the truth.

U dont have to convince them about the OS at all. Nobody gives a S***.
All u have to do is sell them the business advantage they are going
to gain with whatever it is u supply - online maintanence,
reliability, multilocation software etc. etc. Dont talk price
advantage unless u want to shortchange yourself.
XPee, Athlon, Intel, Ram etc lots of rubbish dished out by IT folks
cause they lack the smarts to sell "advantage" to the customer. And
understanding advantage is one thing that runs in his veins.

> if "kam hone se matlab" is really what they
> believe, it can then be very easy for us to migrate them and what's
> needed is only some man power and time.
> what do you think jtd?  tell me if this is the right track, I am
> ready to put man power on this path.

That is indeed the right track. But remember that "one size fits all"
is false. U have to check each customers needs.
> ? second hurdle I found out is that they often say "ok we
> can do that but since our computer is under AMC etc, we will try
> and ask our hardware guy to install linux for us.

Tell them to put a new blank disk for their data and linux. U supply
the disk if neccessary. End of story.

> and as every one
> knows the common reaction from most hardware guys is "linux!
> absolutely rubbish, it is just a toy and not used by common man!"
> but the reality is that they don't have the knowhow of installation
> and maintainance of gnu/linux systems.  how to overcome this.  any
> suggested policies?

Dont argue with the brian dead. Use their zombiness to advantage. As
sugested abv.

--
Rgds
JTD