[ILUG-BOM] A small exposure to GNU/Linux

jtd jtd@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Sep 19 17:32:42 IST 2006

On Tuesday 19 September 2006 22:34, Dinesh Joshi wrote:
> On Monday 18 September 2006 14:24, Roshan wrote:
> > One mistake I committed, was I being a bit bais to
> > GNU/Linux and pin-pointing _only_ Microsoft to be
> > responsible for proprietary software.
>
> Always keep a balanced view. There are always good points and bad
> points of both softwares.

I have yet to find anything good for the M$ stuff. While the M$ stuff
has only got worse in stark contrast gnu/linux has only got better.
Till date there has been only one thing that has not worked for me -
that too only because of my laziness - pptp on reliance network for a
specifically M$ mangled version of M$ ppp.
Yesterday my wife spent a good day trying to get some tool working on
98. She gave up after 3 w98 reinstalls.

> > The question that I have ask is this. We had a DLP
> > Projector that could not synchronize with the hardware
> > and the display always went out of Range for Ubuntu
> > 6.06.

Mostly it is a bug in the projector hsync vsync specs. Editing the h
and v freq in XF86config-4 always gets it working. On the rear
occasion (in the distant past) one needed to edit leading / trailing
blank pixels and sync polarity and interlace etc. But it always
worked. If u ve got an important presentaion always findout the exact
model of projector and save yourself a hassle.

--
Rgds
JTD