[ILUG-BOM] [OT] MTNL Tri Band ADSL equipment config

Arun Khan arunkha@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Mar 22 15:22:17 IST 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:06:33 +0500, sherlock at vsnl.com <sherlock at vsnl.com> wrote:
> On Monday 21 March 2005 22:12, Derwyn Dpenha wrote:
>
> 1) What model of modem
> 2) what make (quite often the model num is mangled by the importer)
> 3) does it connect to the pc via the Ethernet / serial /usb port
>
> Also google. Here is what i found.
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT7909082870.html
>
> > The modem driver in suse is DSL-502
> > Has anyone suceeded in doing this MTNL/Tri band connection on
> > Linux.... If no has anyone spoken to MTNL as to how to get this
> > connection up on linux... The stupid linesmen have no idea at
> > all.....
>
> Nobody in MTNL (or the other ISPs) will have a clue when you say
> Linux. They will tell u point blank that it wont work, which is
> total rubbish.
> I rolled over laughing when the tataindicom zombie wanted
> to know "yes, but which version of windows linux" to which i
> replied "linux 2005" and he says "sorry sir we only support
> windows 2000, we have not yet installed windows linux 2005"
>
> rgds
> jtd

After my original posting on this topic, I have been talking to the
DLink tech support as well as their distributor in Mumbai.  From what
I have gathered, the 502T has 2 ports 1) a RJ11 DSL connection and 2)
a RJ45 (ethernet) port  to hook up to a PC or a Hub/Switch.  For this
kind of a setup I don't think any special drivers are needed (in the
PC)  to connect to the 502T.  Worst case scenario, you may need a
cross over cable if you are connecting the unit directly to a PC  but
then again many devices auto detect straight/cross over cable and
internall adjust the wire pairs.

HTH,
Arun Khan