[FSUG-Bangalore] on the question of banner of work in blr/kar

Arun M arun at gnu.org.in
Tue Dec 2 00:33:32 IST 2008

> Ambedkar youth for example..are  no where near emails and
> computers..however they are important contributors to the local
> community picking up free software...but they would have their own
> identity.....fsug doesn't fit them..

I can understand their interest in keeping their identity.
But why are they not part of FSUG ? I feel they should be.

We organised software freedom day in Trivandrum as a joint program
of SPACE, FSF India and Trivandrum GLUG. I belong to Trivandrum GLUG
as much as I belong to FSF India.

> its actually good to have fsug focus on free software - and some body
> with another name - focus us - on what they would like to..when
> especially they would like to combine free software with anything else [
> empowerment , awareness , social consicousness and so on , dalit rights
> ] and fsf-I to recognise this...

I hope that you have seen my mail with story of Adivasi movement
adopting free software.I got a chance to stay there and work with them
for 2 days. The passion shown by them is amazing. There are no better
advocates of free software. They started their own GLUG.

In SPACE I used to work with Fishermen in Trivandrum to empower them with
free software. I know that Anivar worked for UNDP's network on free software
to support people from Tsunami affected villages. If I remember correctly
organisations of sexual minorities were involved in one of the campaigns
of FSUG Banglore. All these shows that all of us are involved in one
issue/campaign or other. We may not share same vision in everything.
But there is something we share in common that is our philosophy of
freedom of Knowledge. Let us work together on that, that will help us learn
from each other, help us understand each other better, recognise each
other better.

> Yes if somebody wants to focus on hard core free software alone - then
> they should work under fsf-I as much without fragmentation.

What do you mean by 'hard core free software alone' ?