[FSUG-Bangalore] on the question of banner of work in blr/kar

Senthil Sundaram (sensunda) sensunda at cisco.com
Tue Dec 2 09:28:11 IST 2008

> I can understand their interest in keeping their identity.
> But why are they not part of FSUG ? I feel they should be.

This is quite nice to hear..and shows the interest of fsf-I to be
inclusive.

> We organised software freedom day in Trivandrum as a joint
> program of SPACE, FSF India and Trivandrum GLUG. I belong to
> Trivandrum GLUG as much as I belong to FSF India.
>

> I hope that you have seen my mail with story of Adivasi
> movement adopting free software.I got a chance to stay there
> and work with them for 2 days. The passion shown by them is
> amazing. There are no better advocates of free software. They
> started their own GLUG.

Yes . very nice.

> In SPACE I used to work with Fishermen in Trivandrum to
> empower them with free software. I know that Anivar worked
> for UNDP's network on free software to support people from
> Tsunami affected villages. If I remember correctly
> organisations of sexual minorities were involved in one of
> the campaigns of FSUG Banglore. All these shows that all of
> us are involved in one issue/campaign or other. We may not
> share same vision in everything.
> But there is something we share in common that is our
> philosophy of freedom of Knowledge. Let us work together on
> that, that will help us learn from each other, help us
> understand each other better, recognise each other better.

If we can have this sort of a left - margininalised community - free
software alliance - and fsf-I can consider
It under one umbrella that's very nice..

> What do you mean by 'hard core free software alone' ?

But I get the feeling many times in blr..atleast that its more of 'free
software' and less of 'free society' especially because of the lack of
political understanding .. Yes however with a position like this from
fsf-I things will grow and change..