[FSUG-Bangalore] quote[OT]

Nair VJK nairvjk@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Oct 23 07:33:09 IST 2006

science and technology are the results of human advancement.  It shall
ultimately serve the humanity and none else.  The science confined to the
realm of materials and nature limits our understanding.  Science when
applied to the social conditions, knowing as to what the society is, how it
functions, changes etc.  we will be able to know how we can shape it
positively.  If Engineers apply these understanding of the society in the
given conditions, they will be helping the people to advance their lives on
the ground.
The social science which is grounded firmly in people's interests understand
all these.  Just to make one concept understood: Pleease consider the fact
that normally any instrucment of production will be usefull to the society
for it helps production of goods (and services) better for the society.
However one set of instruments of production, i.e.the instruments with which
war is waged, does destroy in the war very many goods produced, human lives,
etc. Yet, wars and co nquests have also contributed to social advancement.
The use of science and technology for `destructive'  war efforts were also
used for the technology to be used for `wrong' purpose.  Yet, society
marched on.
Very many scientists who shaped the world joined the  peace campaign for
these reasons.  Einstein  & Lineus  Pauling etc are among those greats.
We shall learn the Science and Tech nology of social science as well.
Practice of these will better our social engineering to merge with phisical
engineering and help the society to advance better.
Let us know that it was Soviet Union that first developed tractors, first
built metro, first sent a satelite around the earth, first to put a man into
space, first to liberate that part of man kind.  But how they lost is in
loosing the competition to develop science and technology.  The antisoviet
camp not only developed present S&T revolution, but also scuttled the S&T
revolution that could occur in soviet union.  This was done during Kruschev
Times and finally accomplished the dismantlement during Gorbachev time.
Therefore the question before every socially concious engineer shall be,
hiow to accomplish the S&T revolution, i.e. to shape it in the interests of
the society.  That is being the goal of FUSG -Bangalore victory shall be of
the people whose living shall soar to greater and greater heights.
VJK Nair