[FSUG-Bangalore] quote[OT]

Krishna Pagadala krishnaact@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Oct 22 00:10:43 IST 2006

--- Rakesh 'arky' Ambati <rakesh_ambati at yahoo.com>
wrote:
> --- Vikram Vincent <vincentvikram at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > "And somewhere there are engineers
> > Helping others fly faster than sound.
> > But, where are the engineers
> > Helping those who must live on the ground?"
> >
> It is not a good thing to succumb to pessimism
> however worse things are.

You can think of it as a call to action, and reply
with
"Here I am helping people who must live on the ground"

> Technology (science in general) has
> always worked for the betterment of mankind.

Since "Technology (science in general)" can be used
for destruction also. I would correct your statement
as
 "Technology (science in general) can work for the
betterment of mankind, when it is directed to that
end.".

> On a recent visit to a hospital I cherished the fact
> that the simple concept of sterile environment have
> saved millions of lives including mine and yours.

There is an interesting history of sterilization, you
might want to read it at the following URL's
http://www.ahealedplanet.net/medicine.htm#semmelweis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignaz_Semmelweis

To sum the history of sterilization. Science was not
directed to the betterment of humankind, and hence the
inhuman results.

The following book might be of interest
"A People's History of Science: Miners, Midwives, and
"Low Mechaniks"
http://www.amazon.com/Peoples-History-Science-Midwives-Mechaniks/dp/1560257482

> Perhaps another example of Indian space programs
> would be more apt, the light-weight composite
> materials which are used as heat insulators or for
> structural design of launch shuttles and missiles
> is now used to make artificial limbs for children.
> They weigh few kilograms lighter than the previous
> models.

If instead of spending the money on space programs, we
spent the money directly on artificial limbs for
children would the children have better artificial
limbs or worse ones? I think we would have better
articial limbs. We can then spin off the technology
into the relatively unimportant space programs.

-Krishna

Misinterpreting Copyright by Richard Stallman
"Die Gedanken Sind Frei": Free Software and the Struggle for Free Thought by Eben Moglen mp3 ogg
Free Knowledge blog

.