[fsug-bangalore] IT For Change, Bangalore

Rakesh 'Arky' Ambati rakesh_ambati@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Jun 18 10:02:29 IST 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-18 at 08:55 +0530, Rakesh 'Arky' Ambati wrote:
> Morning Friends,
>
> FN Writes ....
>
>  I think we need to be clear about what kind of collaboration
>         we are talking about here. Personally, I see scope for
>         great link-building between Free Software advocates,
>         NGOs and ITforDevelopment campaigners -- provided all are
>         open to the use of Free/Libre and Open Source Software (and
>         are willing to go the extra mile it takes to implement
>         such plans).

We are a small group of Free Software users,developers and advocates, so
I believe we can help in very small yet useful contributions.There may
be some areas where we can work like using GNU/Linux LTSP (GNU/Linux
Terminal Server Project) for educational purposes.

There are few members who help with localisation of various software and
course contents into Kannada and Telugu.

We can also help NGOs adopt GNU/Linux desktop for their administrative
purposes (Abhas kindly tell us about your work).People like me can help
the NGOs in training them in using the desktops and administer the
systems.

Often some members have volunteered to maintain the such installations,
for example Zabil helps out with Atma shree school whenever they is any
hardware/software trouble comes in his spare time.

>         If things work well, then the NGOs would be able to support
>         a workable alternative -- in the field of software.
>         FLOSS campaigners could also get useful allies, and
>         demo situations that work in real life. ITforDevelopment
>         needs to build bridges with the wonderful world of
>         Free Software. We're trying to do our bit at BytesForAll.org
>         too (see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bytesforall_readers )

These whole series of emails is for starting a dialogue between the NGOs
and FSUG to work the areas wherein we can work together.

As FN has said "workable alternative -- in the field of software" is
what we aim to achieve, but all our Free software solutions will not
that useful unless their is good interactions from the end users who
know the ground realities of using the software on a day to day basis.

Have a great weekend

--
arky

Rakesh 'arky' Ambati