[fsug-bangalore] hi everyone!

Raj Shekhar rajlist@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Aug 10 00:37:12 IST 2005

Nirmal Thacker wrote:

> what im getting at is will VTU still use open source software? after
> all if microsoft is playing a huge role in EDUSAT , VTU may feel
> commited towards them although the use of open source software is
> beneficial for both them and us.

The role of the university is to provide a education to its students -
aligning itself with a commercial entity should not be on its agenda.
Do question your teachers why you are using tools and course materials
which will tie you to a particular vendor instead of learning skills and
tools that would enable you to work on any platform.  If any of the
teachers say that MS technologies are more in demand, feel free to
contact me.  I will give them a piece of my mind

Secondly, I will restate that approaching the VC is not the correct way
to bring about a change.  There is a need to tell the students and
teachers about why free software is good in education.  The change
should come from the bottom-up rather than from top-to-down

> Secondly, again before joining up for this lists i had decided that i
> would do my bit for the open source community by distributing CD's
> like GNU/ linux distros, open source software collection and anything
> related to it (on cds!) for free.

Don't hand out anything in free. It will only attract freeloaders.
Charge a nominal fee for it - remember the free in the free software
means "mukt" rather than "muft"

> one of the best ways to spread anything related to engineering
> students is by getting involved with the various fests held by the
> colleges.

Is your college willing to host such an event ?  If they can provide for
an auditorium and some desktop machines, an event demoing the
capabilities of free software is quite feasible

--
Raj Shekhar		           Y!IM : lunatech3007
blog : http://rajshekhar.net/blog  home : http://rajshekhar.net