[fsug-bangalore] hi everyone!

Rakesh 'Arky' Ambati rakesh_ambati@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Aug 9 18:01:37 IST 2005

Hi Nirmal,

Welcome to FSUG.

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 17:42 +0530, Nirmal Thacker wrote:
> what im getting at is will VTU still use open source software? after
> all if microsoft is playing a huge role in EDUSAT , VTU may feel
> commited towards them although the use of open source software is
> beneficial for both them and us.
First, Thank you for showing your support by signing the VTU campaign
and most people still don't know about FSUG-Bangalore.That's why we want
to do events in Colleges/Schools to introduce them to Free Software.

Regarding your first question, Universities like VTU will be continuing
to use proprietary software solution from likes of Microsoft, Matlab and
other until we rise up and put forward our ideas. We do not have the
marketing muscle or donate Crores of rupees to set up labs in
Universities, but with constant and continuous activism we can change
the education system.

> Secondly, again before joining up for this lists i had decided that i
> would do my bit for the open source community by distributing CD's
> like GNU/ linux distros, open source software collection and anything
> related to it (on cds!) for free.
You need spend your pocket money, Ubuntu project will send any number
CD's you want.Once you order it online for free, it will take 4 weeks to
get delivered.

The link address is: http://shipit.ubuntulinux.org/

I have a couple of them with me, you can collect them when we meet.

> since we have a newsletter in our
> college, where im actively involved , making announcements are easy.

Perhaps you announce about FSUG-Bangalore there, and do a small write up
on VTU FLOSS campaign or just introducing Free Software.

>  you may then get sponsors to distribute
> open source stickers, t shirts, etc.

You can also participate in the organising of Stall at LinuxBangalore
Event and if you follow up with your college them we can do the same
event on Freedom Software Day (Sep 10) in your campus.

> one of the best ways to spread anything related to engineering
> students is by getting involved with the various fests held by the
> colleges.

Yeah, that's a good idea. Do have a schedules of these events with you.

> please send in your replies and opinions. do we have some kinda
> meetings
We used to meets called as Gnu(s) Grazing, perhaps we will one very soon
this month.

Welcome once again Nirmal, and bring all your friends who are interested
in Free Software too.

Cheers

--
arky