[fsug-bangalore] Knock knock.

Arun M arun@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Jun 10 19:50:42 IST 2004

Hi Ramki,

> Yes, I know about these difficulties, and fully understand. It's just that
> I am frustrated with a few individuals at the helm of fsf-india. If these
> people change, probably everything will change.

Well, FSF India is an organisation lead by few individuals. It has
collective responsibility. Changing a few person is not a solution. I
would request that if you have any concern with any one in the board of
directors pls inform the board abt the same. It can be discussed there
and actions can be taken up. Board does include RMS. It is not a good
idea to publicly comment like this. It can only create confusion and
damage the movement. So please try to be specific.

> Free Software Movement is one of the most noble movements ever in humanity,
> so it is very important we do something about it. We need representations
> in Govt committees etc (already "Open Source" guys who are headquartered in
> Bangalore are in Govt committees).

Yes, and it is not an easy task to get into govt. People in 'Open
Source' are good at selling themselves. Many of them have personal gains
to come from what they are doing. Unfortunately that is not the case in
'free software'. Here all of us do what we do just because we have some
moral force driving us to do what we do.

Any way, we are not standing still. We have identified some channels
through which we can try to influence the central govt. Abhas is working
on a document to be given to govt officials, Arky is working on a
newsletter with activities till date, Ramanraj and Sasikumar made a
document on public standers in research institutions. We have submitted
the document they made to Kerala State Council for Science Technology
and Environment(Headed by Dr Valyathan). We are planning to give it to
CSIR also. We will be requesting all the MPs from Kerala to fund
IT at School projects based on free software alone. And  i am sure most of
them will agree.

> We also need ways to handle online
> donations. If there were a way to donate monthly as in fsf-boston, I would
> not have given that precious $10/month (now $20/month from June '04
> onwards)I give to them and instead given that to FSF India. When I hear
> people talking how the fsf-india funds were spent (like flight charges
> for people etc) I do not feel like contributing to FSF-India as that money
> I donate is earned after working very long and hard hours at my work place.

FSF India till date didnt make any major public fund raising campaign.
On case by case we raised funds from our friends (Eg, early this year i
gave a SOS call to Abhas and another friend and both of them made a
substantial contribution). I am sure they are supporting because of the
trust that funds wont be misused.

I've noticed that one person is going around and telling lies abt FSF
India. I request not to echo his words till you verify the facts. Action
will be taken against him.

regards,
Arun.