[Fsf-india] Mail from Prof K Gopinath

Arun M arun@freedevelopers.net
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 00:33:00 +0530

Here is a mail sent to me by Prof Gopinath regarding some discussions
happened in the list. The mail came on 8th Mar.

A mail from RMS relating to issue is also attached.

Prof Gopinath has requested not to mail him regarding this.
He wont be able to reply.

Arun.
----

I understand that there has been considerable criticism about not
keeping various people informed. Just to state the facts:

I do not read any mailing lists. If that is a req of being a board
member of FSF India, I am certainly not suitable. I hoped that atleast
one board member would be reading some of the various lists and
crosspost. I informed fsf-board as early as possible about a tentative
program for RMS.

Feb 28: RMS visit to Bangalore confirmed.
        I waited till it was confirmed as in '00 (I think) I made
        preparations for RMS visit to BGLR that had to be cancelled.

Mar 1: first plans scribbled on a piece of paper to send next day but
       could not send due to

Mar 2, 3: IISc main transformer repair (unscheduled!): nobody knew
       what had happened and all our UPSes also got drained! Could not
       access any of the machines to send e-mail; no access to any
       e-addrs (sorry, I do  not attempt to remember e-addrs...)

Mar 3 night: first message sent to fsf-board/rms but with a tentative
       program as RMS had not even seen the program.

   (Arun: came to fsf-board on 4th around noon)

Mar 4: confirmation from RMS but changes reqd as Chennai prog included
       + cancellation of one talk at an engg college after an advanced
       stage of preparations, etc. Have to get the rooms for talks (confirmed
       only on 6th eve) etc. When things are so fluid, what if some one
       from TVM comes for the engg college talk that got cancelled???

   (Arun: I think it came on 5th)

I AM STILL TRYING TO LOCATE SPEAKERS FOR THE WORKSHOP ON Tue 12 and
if I am not successful I WILL have to be the substitute! More work as
I need to do some research before I speak! especially on topics such
as "Proposed amendments to Indian Patent Act (Patents (Second
Amendment 1999) Bill): analysis"

In addition, I have been sending msgs and coord visits to Delhi,
Chennai,..., etc and also so that a good prog is possible in
Bangalore. Given the circumstances, kindly judge for yourself. The
unfortunate problem is that there is no overlap of the fsf-board and
other lists.

I am planning to resign from the FSF India board after the RMS visit
as I cannot read even ONE mailing list of any kind: I am sorry that
this is the case due to pressure of work. As it is, I get close to 10
unsolicited msgs per day alone from students all over the country who
want to do a project at IISc whenever and whatever duration they are
free (ranging from 10 days+ !).

My best wishes to whoever wants to organize events, etc.

Gopi

---
RMS:

I was not sure there were funds for my visit to India until
pretty late in February.  At that point it was not clear
I could get seats to go.  It was around Feb 26 when I became
sure I would go.

I should have informed the board then.  I am sorry I did not.