[FSF India] Talking about free software in schools

Mohit Agarwal mohit@tugindia.org.in
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 10:28:25 +0530

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 10:52:52PM +0530, Raju Mathur wrote:

>     Mohit> On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 03:02:44PM -0800, M.P.Anand Babu
>     Mohit> wrote:
>
>     Mohit> [snip]
>
>     >> > wise to be with the heterogenous group and continue to talk >
>     >> about the ethics and politics of free software as and when the
>     >> > opportunity arises.  E.g., I dont refuse to install RH or
>     >> SuSE > in a workshop, though I would love to show them Debian.
>     >> I do I will refuse.
>
>     Mohit> Yes, you should.  Because of several reasons: might be
>     Mohit> because of itching in certain (?) parts of the body, might
>     Mohit> be because it's always to portray a image in public that
>     Mohit> might help you achieve things that you've been looking for.
>
> While I may not agree with all his views, Anand Babu is one of the
> most ethical people I know -- sometime too ethical :-) In general
> making judgements about peoples' character without a sound knowledge
> of how their minds work would seem to be a Bad Idea(tm).

I think that the point I wanted to emphasize was fairly obvious: The
`honorable' Anand Babu was trying to say that the ones using any
distribution apart from Debain are unethical people.  I just said that
even his website runs on RedHat, then why does he make such extreme
statements?  The way in which his mind works is certainly bad[*], so
the point I tried to make wasn't a Bad Idea(tm).

          mohit

[*]  It's rather not clear why is he doing such things.

p.s.  Just think, Raju.  Even your website runs on RedHat, so does
that make you an unethical person?  Everybody knows that you've done a
lot for the cause of Free Software since long.