[Fsf-india] Free Software Magazine

Frederick Noronha fred@bytesforall.org
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 22:37:05 +0530 (IST)

One man's spam could be another man's "useful information". In fact, I
personally find Taranath's updates on what CDs are available quite useful,
and routinely circulate it to other members of our GNU/Linux network in
Goa.
I do know however that some GNU/Linux supporters in Bangalore (and
possibly elsewhere) consider the postings on this subject akin to
commercial spam. Is the objection because GTCDRom does not use the
[COMMERCIAL] slug in its subject line? Is it because the postings are
frequent, or cross-posted? Or because Taranath earns a living and runs a
business based on GNU/Linux (I too earn my living from sometimes writing
GNU/Linux articles, though I do so primarily because of my interest).
It might help all sides if we understood why the criticism.
In the meantime, Taranath I would request you not to be oversensitive to
the criticism. This is a mailing list where everyone is free to have his
or her opinion.
Just to say that I ... and possibly other friends in a Goa which is
otherwise isolated from the latest in GNU/Linux... find your updates
useful. As someone who pushes GNU/Linux so successfully, you would
probably do a good job too with the GNU Magazine. Personally, I feel it
would be great if people like you could take to enthusiastically promoting
that too. Frederick
--
Frederick Noronha * Freelance Journalist * Goa * India
BYTESFORALL www.bytesforall.org * GOAPIX www.goacom.com/wallpapers/