[Fsf-india] Free Software Magazine

Hong Feng fred@mail.rons.net.cn
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 21:05:41 +0800 (CST)

   Thanks for contacting us on this subject.

   We would be interested in your offer.

   We are currently Subscription resell Agency for Linux Journal , Embbeded
   Linux Journaly , Sys Adminstration, C/ C++  and Dr. Dobbes.

   Please let me know  how to proceed further.

Hi,

I am sorry to keep you wait so long, as these days I was talking with Post Office
and transport companies to check if they could carry the magazine
from China to India.

The Post Office could offer the service on delivery, but their
tariff is very expensive, so I think it is not the best means we
need if you want to subscribe many copies.

The India Airline does not have an office in Beijing, they have one in
Hong Kong, also they do not have a direct flight from Beijing to India,
instead, it needs transfered via Hong Kong or via Singapore.

In order to offer you a precisely price, pls kindly give me more info:

1. Which city you are located now? And do you have a network in India for
distribution? Or only one site and then send to other cities by post office
(I know India is a big country, so it is important for me to know this.)

2. How many copies you need to distribute in India?

The magazine is ca 150-200g per copy, so I need to calculate the freight
with the air cargo company now.

Also this is important for me to know if you want to be my "exclusive"
distributor in India (as you know, the magazine is free re-distributable,
so everyone could redistribute it legally, but the "exclusive" here means I
will only ship the original copies (printed in China) to you in India, not to
anyone else in India, and if someone else there enquires for subscription to us,
I will forward her/him to you to handle.)  As the magazine is just launched,
it is right time for us to discuss this now.

3. Payment.

Our magazine is focused on the free software community, basically,
it is "hackers write for hackers", it is not like many other
magazines which are so commercial companies centered. Instead, it
is supported by the free software community. You payment will mostly be
used for make the magazine better server for our community.

Currently we only accept payment in US funds through bank wires from
our oversea distributors. Payment shall be made 15 days in advance of
each shipping lot per month.

Our magazine has two versions --- web online version and paper printed
copies.  Basically they both are same for contents, but paper copies
is of course easier to read for most of us.

Also the contents of our magazine is freely available on the web site,
(that means everyone could decide if our magazine is interesting or not before
get the paper copy), thus, we could NOT accept any copy returns of magazine.
Although our magazine is not so time sensive (compared with other magazines), still,
we hope our distributors wont offer an overstated circulation, otherwise both of
us would possibly be in troubles to handle them.

You (as the distributor in India) will enter into a distribution contract
with us, the contract will be renewed on six months basis. Pls let me know
if this is acceptable for you.  Once we make the contract, we will list you as
our "official distributor in India" on our web site.

Thanks for your support,
Frederic

Hong Feng
Publisher, Free Software Magazine
President & CEO, RON's Datacom Co., Ltd.
fred@mail.rons.net.cn   hongfeng@gnu.org
http://www.rons.net.cn/hongfeng.html