[FSF India] Public-Funded Knowledge : Free v/s Commercial

Khuzaima A. Lakdawala fsf-india@gnu.org.in
14 Aug 2001 12:03:23 +0530

Raj Singh <raj@ceeri.ernet.in> writes:

> Similarly for NCST developed Hindi software. I understand that NCST
> subsequently tied-up with Microsoft and this formed the kernel of Indian
> language support touted by Microsoft for MS-Word in 1999. So, now the
> government and Indian public is paying Microsoft for what (in some sense)
> was developed with public money and "belongs" to them !

It's official. Microsoft launches Office XP in nine [Indian] languages.
NCST is among the organisations which "worked with Microsoft on this
initiative."

http://www.hinduonnet.com/stories/0214000n.htm

[Please note that the above URL will be valid only for today, Aug
14. The story can subsequently be accessed from The Hindu's archives.]

--
Khuzaima A. Lakdawala