[FSF India] Public-Funded Knowledge : Free v/s Commercial

Ramakrishnan M fsf-india@gnu.org.in
Tue, 07 Aug 2001 14:53:16 +0530

Raj Singh wrote:

> I have been advocating sharing of information (data, software, ...) among
> the various educational institutes/CSIR/ISRO/DRDO/BARC/CDAC/CDOT etc. --
> particularly if we want to raise the academic teaching standards of RECs
> and State/Private Engineering Colleges within our country.

I heard that in places like ISRO/DRDO, even internal sharing doesn't
happen(reportedly due to internal politics and unhealthy competition). So
people endup doing the same thing ad-infinitum from scratch. Here in ISRO
satellite center, I heard that they don't even have a proper intranet in place.
I wonder how sharing can happen without proper communication facilities and
proper mentality.

--
Ramakrishnan M                              <gnuhead@myrealbox.com>
GPG: 1024D/6A9F3C38  Debian GNU/{Linux,Hurd} <rkrishnan@debian.org>