Foss teaching material for school/college education (was) Re: [Fsf-friends] Hall of Shame

Sandip Bhattacharya sandip@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Mar 12 17:04:20 IST 2007

Ajay Pal Singh Atwal wrote:

> So what exactly would/ should be taught as per the available study material
>
> 1) Word Processing or MS Word
> 2) Presentations or Powerpoint
> 3) Spreadsheets or Excel
> 4) ANSI C/ C++ or Visual C++ (usually Turbo C++)
> 5) Object Oriented Programming or MS .NET
> 6) SQL or MS SQL Server
>
> there is a difference. For each there is a free alternative.

I am not denying there are free alternatives. I am asking where is the
content?

> And good study material is aplenty. Generic concepts are already in place.
> I do blame the Govt Deptt. for lapse in their duties.

What is good study material as per you? Manuals, or books/tutorials for
professionals are not always suitable for classroom studying in schools.

Generic topics like C/C++ or OOP do have books, yes. But I am yet to see
any FOSS material on Openoffice/Mysql good enough for school books.

We may laugh at them, but some of the training material for these
proprietary software made by companies like NIIT, Aptech is actually
quite suitable for high school students. They might not go into as much
depth as we would want, but just making these concepts understandable to
a school students requires quite some effort and experience. I know,
because I have been involved in the content creation side with one of
these companies for quite a while(for FOSS software, mind you). And they
spend far more thought into making books tuned to target audience like
school/college/professionals than we would ever intuitively know.

- Sandip