[Fsf-friends] Hall of Shame

Ajay Pal Singh Atwal ajaypal@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Mar 12 15:04:42 IST 2007

----- Sandip Bhattacharya <sandip at lug-delhi.org> wrote:

> You misunderstand the Hall of Shame "rhetoric". It is not about which
> site uses what technology to provider services. HoS is about not
> discriminating against users of these services. Critical websites
> like
> governments should be accessible by all, including users of FOSS
> software. That is all about our "limited" mission.

Thanks for clarifying. Got it now.

> Whether a government site should proprietary technology or FOSS
> software
> is a different debate, and is not related to the Hall of shame
> effort.

Agreed.

> BTW, I personally believe that FOSS software is not everything. You
> need
> to have FOSS content also. So even if we have FOSS software which is
> good, but not FOSS education material, what good would the software
> be
> to an education drive? Look around the education area, you would be a
> huge amount of teaching material already in place for these
> proprietary
> software. I don't blame the education drive too much right now for
> their
> decision. They can't help their students *now* by deploying FOSS and
> waiting for years for the teaching material to appear. The good thing
> is
> that there are many localized drives in India who are developing good
> teaching material. I believe Kerala was a pioneer in it, but I don't
> have any references to it right now. Once we have a worth 10+2
> content
> in place, it would be difficult for any government to justify ignoring
>  it.

So what exactly would/ should be taught as per the available study material

1) Word Processing or MS Word
2) Presentations or Powerpoint
3) Spreadsheets or Excel
4) ANSI C/ C++ or Visual C++ (usually Turbo C++)
5) Object Oriented Programming or MS .NET
6) SQL or MS SQL Server

there is a difference. For each there is a free alternative.

And good study material is aplenty. Generic concepts are already in place.
I do blame the Govt Deptt. for lapse in their duties.

--
Sincerely

Ajay Pal Singh Atwal
Dept of CSE & IT