[Fsf-friends] Broken pgms

Mahesh M maheshmukundan@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Apr 29 20:58:01 IST 2007

Praveenji,

On 4/29/07, Praveen A <pravi.a at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/4/27, Mahesh M <maheshmukundan at gmail.com>:
> > is there a way of installing the packages that do not belong to
> repositiry.
> > I dont think that driver files of modem and all can be integrated to
> package
> > manager. We usually use dpkg, alien or rpm (rather I and my friends !!)
> And
> > they (not the latest one :) )do not have anything called "satisfy
> dependency
> > by checking the net" option!! And even the newer versions arent that
> > friendly as user needs to know host ID, user name passwd, address etc.
> > Nobody is bothered to sacrifice so much of time for such a thing!
>
> Have you heard of apt or synaptic? you can go to this page and read
> about it http://www.google.com/search?q=apt

I know what apt is, what it does. I do use aptitude and synaptic pakage
manager. The alien, dpkg and rpm are also some wat knon to me.

If you don't want to use whatever is available and blame others, I
> can't help. When you say you are using dpkg, alien or rpm that means
> you know what to do and you don't need any help from apt. aptitude,
> synaptic, pirut or kynaptic.

  Its not about i knowing all these. But if a newbee comes and uses it...
Will he have all the patients to sit and learn all these.. Sorry to say, but
such an attitude in us is perhaps the greatest strrength for M$ idiots...
We never bother to think in the way of those people who dont even know how
to use computer. I hope GNU/Linux is not just for the Engg. guys. Though a
lot of work have been done in simplifying all these to some extend, many of
them never occur within few clicks.. Does it? And a lot of prequisites are
expected, rt..
Why the hell should a normal user try to know how things work inside. They
can never see the beauty of Synaptic Package Manager. All they want is, U
put a CD that is supposed to install  x, y, z..., and it does it without
much interaction with user. Many are used to such a kind of work. They are
not patient enough. I may do it, thats coz i like doing it. But all are not
like that. Are they?

> Exactly .. But is there any solution. Since in country like India, we cant
> > expect the users to get a quality connection, rather sometimes any
> > net-connection at all!
> you can get the cds/dvds from sujeevan in kannore, you can call him or
> write a postal mail. He even sends it as vpp I think.

How many of the *normal* users are aware of such a guy..? How many of them
will try to find out?
And will he be able to distribute it through the country? See in such a
percpective where in the need of the user is completly satisfied.. The
costemer point of view.

So lack of
> internet is not an issue. Learning a different way of doing things is.

How many users will *dare* to do experiments with their new PC? How many
will even *think* of learning  to do things, in a world like this.
I have a million students, mostly avg guys, who donot understand the
complexities of things behind computers, coming and asking me such simple
questions. I have seen things in their point of view. I do undersatand their
concern. For eg. Just revise the mail of Antony.. He too perhaps has felt
the same.. they want things to be simple. And they will go for that which is
simple.

Cheers
> Praveen
>
> --
> പ്രവീണ് അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്
> Join The DRM Elimination Crew Now!
> http://fci.wikia.com/wiki/Anti-DRM-Campaign

I am not saying for argument sake.. Jus felt there is a need for such a
change.. Thats why.. And pls dont fire me this way !!! :-) Ha ha...

Mahesh

Its sure to be dark if you close your eyes.
http://maheshmukundan.blogspot.com/