[Fsf-friends] Broken pgms

Praveen A pravi.a@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Apr 29 01:52:27 IST 2007

2007/4/27, Mahesh M <maheshmukundan at gmail.com>:
> is there a way of installing the packages that do not belong to repositiry.
> I dont think that driver files of modem and all can be integrated to package
> manager. We usually use dpkg, alien or rpm (rather I and my friends !!) And
> they (not the latest one :) )do not have anything called "satisfy dependency
> by checking the net" option!! And even the newer versions arent that
> friendly as user needs to know host ID, user name passwd, address etc.
> Nobody is bothered to sacrifice so much of time for such a thing!

Have you heard of apt or synaptic? you can go to this page and read
about it http://www.google.com/search?q=apt

If you don't want to use whatever is available and blame others, I
can't help. When you say you are using dpkg, alien or rpm that means
you know what to do and you don't need any help from apt. aptitude,
synaptic, pirut or kynaptic.

> Exactly .. But is there any solution. Since in country like India, we cant
> expect the users to get a quality connection, rather sometimes any
> net-connection at all!
you can get the cds/dvds from sujeevan in kannore, you can call him or
write a postal mail. He even sends it as vpp I think. So lack of
internet is not an issue. Learning a different way of doing things is.

Cheers
Praveen

--
പ്രവീണ് അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്