[Fsf-friends] Broken pgms

Praveen A pravi.a@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Apr 29 00:50:40 IST 2007

2007/4/27, V. Sasi Kumar <sasi.fsf at gmail.com>:
> This need not be a problem when one is installing from the Net.
Or you haver 21 CDs or 3 DVDs (the entire debian archive)

> Most
> distributions now have package managers that can automatically download
> and install dependencies from the Net.

It can install from CD/DVD also and I use this all the time.

>A problem occurs when one is
> trying to install an application from a CD or DVD distributed by, say, a
> magazine, and it provides only that package and you have to download the
> dependencies. The problem becomes sever if the machine is not connected
> to the Net, obviously.

Totally incorrect. You just have to have 3 DVDs/21 CDs or a local
repository (I guess space at TVM has the entire repository, its about
15GB). If you don't want to have all of the cds, you can chose as many
as you decide, say 4 cds. Now if you want to install some software
that is not in the first 4 cds. You can download it on a machine
connected to net and have it on a usb or cd (I do this also all the
time). Its not rocket science.

Cheers
Praveen
--