[Fsf-friends] Institutional Model vs. Bazaar Model

Nagarjuna G. nagarjun@gnowledge.org
Tue Oct 5 12:54:28 IST 2004

On Tuesday 05 Oct 2004 10:22 am, Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:
> Nagarjuna G. wrote:
> >
> > List of board members is there on the fsf india page.  None of the
> > directors/board members get any salary. (the memorandm clearly says so
> > by constitution).  List of activities: too many to be listed.  FSF
> > India doesn't have money to print brochures to be sent to all the
> > units in the country, send letters by post to a list of people
> > whenever we want, no capital to print books, etc. (We already have a
> > book to print urgently, a book in bangla written by DipankarDa) this
> > book needs a budget of 100K we have only about 40k in the
> > treasury). Most of the activities like meetings, workshops etc that a
>
> FSF USA has some tax exemption status from the government. What is the
> process for a non-profit organization to get a similar status in India?
>
> Maybe having such a status will encourage more people to contribute.

The procedure in India is to first get tax exemption for the
organization.  This we got recently.  Now we have applied for
extending this exemption to the donors of the organization.  So this
is already being processed.  Let us hope after we get the exemption
the situation will improve.

Nagarjuna