[Fsf-friends] Institutional Model vs. Bazaar Model

Raj Mathur raju@linux-delhi.org
Tue Oct 5 14:40:26 IST 2004

Hi Nagarjuna,

Thanks for the details about FSF-India.

    Nagarjuna> On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 10:40:54AM +0530, Raju Mathur
    Nagarjuna> wrote:
    >>
    >> I agree with most of what you're saying, except:

    Ram> [snip]
    >>
    Ram> E gov software is worth about Rs.  1400 Crores per annum in
    Ram> India.  Surely, much of e gov software could be built from
    Ram> the free software directory, and for utilising free software,
    Ram> the gov could doante anything from Rs.  10 to Rs.100 crores,
    Ram> to start with.  These would enable FSF India to have its own
    Ram> hardware, mirroring facilities, state of the art distros, and
    Ram> provide fair compensation to developers who maintain the free
    Ram> software pool in good shape.  The gov could save more than
    Ram> Rs.1000 crores or use it to meet infrastructure needs.
    Ram> Individuals or private entities would seldom be able to match
    Ram> the gov in funding and the gov has no other viable software
    Ram> source for its needs.
    >> Before anyone starts talking about donating to FSF (India or
    >> anywhere), please, once again, consider releasing the following
    >> information to the public:
    >>
    >> - - Directors, board members and office holders of FSF India -
    >> - Salaries and allowances (if any) - - Statement of accounts
    >> for the last financial year - - Clear list of activities in
    >> which donated money will be invested - - Articles of
    >> association

    Nagarjuna> [snip]

    Nagarjuna> Articles of association is there on the webpage.  How
    Nagarjuna> could you miss front page links? If you read carefully
    Nagarjuna> the memorandum, most of the items listed there need
    Nagarjuna> more human resource, all of which cannot be taken care
    Nagarjuna> by only voluntary means, since some of them need
    Nagarjuna> regular attention.

Oops, my bad!

I presume FSF-I got audited last financial year; now if you could only
publish that statement of accounts it'd be perfect.  Of course,
there's no legal compulsion for you to publish -- just a request from
my side on behalf of whatever community I happen to be counting myself
in this instant :)

Regards,

- -- Raju
- --