[Fsf-friends] Re: Forming FSUGs in the country

Nagarjuna G. nagarjun@hbcse.tifr.res.in
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 13:05:50 +0530

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 10:53:01AM +0530, Arko Provo Mukherjee wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 04:17, Richard Stallman wrote:
> > It is useful to start FSUGs, whose activities could include
> > users of the free *BSD systems as well as the variants of GNU.
> > It is also useful to start GNU/Linux User Groups.
> >

> So what do you guys suggest?
>
> Should we or should we not go ahead in forming FSUGs around the country?
>
> GNU/Linux user groups can still become places where people will support
> programs running on GNU/Linux whether it is FREE or PROP.
> It can also leave out BSD Systems.
>
> FSUG can be places to support FREE SOFTWARE, be it GNU/LINUX or BSD.
>
> But either iGLUG or FSUG must be formed to counter ILUGS in the country.

In places like Delhi, Bangalore and Chennai where the LUGs have taken
explicit positions not to actively promote free software (they wish to
do it incidentally because they mainly cater to the business
interests) it is important to have FSUGs.  However in some places
where promoting free software has been the main objective, which gets
reflected by the way the user groups are shaped and formed then one
may continue with GLUGS.  In Mumbai e.g., we can do with GLUG (one of
the oldest GLUGS in the country) unless there is a serious differnece
of opinion.

Nagarjuna