[Fsf-friends] Re: Forming FSUGs in the country

Arko Provo Mukherjee arkoprovo@peacefulaction.org
11 Apr 2003 16:48:56 +0530

> In places like Delhi, Bangalore and Chennai where the LUGs have taken
> explicit positions not to actively promote free software (they wish to
> do it incidentally because they mainly cater to the business
> interests) it is important to have FSUGs.  However in some places
> where promoting free software has been the main objective, which gets
> reflected by the way the user groups are shaped and formed then one
> may continue with GLUGS.  In Mumbai e.g., we can do with GLUG (one of
> the oldest GLUGS in the country) unless there is a serious differnece
> of opinion.
>
> Nagarjuna

 Are we then going to do form groups?

We are not going against GLUG if we form FSUG. We can go hand in hand
with them.
If it is FSF, it should be FSUG.

Moreover having FSUG in some places and GLUGS in some other places
doesn't bring the user groups under one roof. So the first question to
be answered is whether we want to create a set of User Groups directly
under FSF which can run parallel to the existing LUG/GLUGs in the
country.

Regards
Arko