[ILUG-BOM] Need Help: Sify Vs Linux

Rony gnulinuxist at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 21:48:11 IST 2008

Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I posted this a while ago, I am facing a strange problem for the last 15 days. I can not browse the Internet though Linux, where as it works well if I do it through the 'now' discarded Windows XP. The problem is sometime Linux does connect me to the Internet. At the same time I can use Pidgin etc and other Bittorent clients to download distros, but cant browse the Internet.. Another amazing thing is, while I cannt open any other site, Microsoft.com opens in a second...so what could be the issue?

When you are connected to the net, what is the output of the ifconfig,
route and 'cat /etc/resolv.conf' command?
Are you able to 'dig' domains like google.com, yahoo.com etc.?
If you can 'dig' can you ping to their IP addresses?
Are you using connection sharing or some specific network related
packages/firewall?

Rony.

GNU/Linux !
No Viruses