[ILUG-BOM] Seek advice to quit Windows

Dinesh Joshi dinesh.a.joshi@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Jan 20 13:09:20 IST 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 02:27 +0530, Debarshi Ray wrote:
> > "Let Us C", nevertheless, a good
> > book.
>
> It is a horrible book. I strongly oppose the idea that one needs to
> begin with it. Just consider the fact that Yashwant Kanitkar teaches
> you the difference of:
> i++ + ++i + i++ and i++ + i++ + i++, which is simply undefined in the
> C standard and yet Kanitkar stresses on this, instead of telling the
> reader to avoid writing such code.

Let Us C is a great book. I had bought it only to learn about DOS
routines for the mouse. Interrupt 33h I think =P Well anyway, the book
is a good one for beginners. And the reason YPK has "stressed" on those
notations i++ + ++i etc... is because any standard aptitude test paper
of any company will have these "clever" hacks in them which confuses the
normal student. The other books that you have quoted simply dont have
such things because as you have pointed out, they aren't defined in the
C standard and aren't a good practice.

Besides such examples help _normal_ students understand how exactly
these operators work.

> I started with Gottfried's book, and when I finally came to Let Us C,
> I found it sick.

No need for name calling. If you didn't like LUC, just state it.
Absolutely no need for name calling.

Also, as Philip ( hope i spelt your name correctly ) pointed out,
anybody wanting to learn a language should learn through examples,
sources, take it apart, put it back, modify it, add to it etc... That is
how one learns the best. But then again, to each his own! :)

Dinesh A. Joshi