[ILUG-BOM] Sun Ultra SPARC T1

Rony ronbillypop@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Jan 19 10:20:18 IST 2007

Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:

> On 18-Jan-07, at 8:50 PM, jtd wrote:
>

>> It was almost dead. But gpl anything and they rise from the ashes.
>> there are more brains in the rest of the world than in the place u
>> happen to be.
>> KG is not completely wrong.
>
> it is a toss-up whether opensourcing will revive the corpse - it failed
> with netscape (if I remember right), succeeded wildly with blender. I
> think it all depends on which stage in the life of the product it is
> opensource. If it is a last-ditch effort to revive it when all else has
> failed ...

Netscape became the popular Firefox and Thunderbird. Java IMHO may have
done its utility and thats why it may have become open in the face of
competition from Perl, Python etc. The commercial value of a product's
paid version may also determine its FOSS popularity. If QCad and Blender
can completely replace AutoCad and 3DSMax, it will become a rage.

Regards,

Rony.