[ILUG-BOM] Sun Ultra SPARC T1

jtd jtd@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Jan 19 11:17:38 IST 2007

On Friday 19 January 2007 09:37, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> On 18-Jan-07, at 8:50 PM, jtd wrote:
> > It was almost dead. But gpl anything and they rise from the
> > ashes. there are more brains in the rest of the world than in the
> > place u happen to be.
> > KG is not completely wrong.
>
> it is a toss-up whether opensourcing will revive the corpse - it
> failed with netscape (if I remember right), succeeded wildly with
> blender. I think it all depends on which stage in the life of the
> product it is opensource. If it is a last-ditch effort to revive it
> when all else has failed ...

Indeed. In this case they have some excellent hardware (imo
overpriced) with the OS and hardware being finely tuned to each
other. And advantages in some impportant departments. When it was
closed these together meant very little to anybody. But opening might
just change that. Also differences in linux and slolaris will drop as
ideas migrate both ways. Solaris may morph itself into linux rather
than die a writhing death like novell netware.

--
Rgds
JTD