[ILUG-BOM] Re: Pitching Linux to corporates?

jtd jtd@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Sep 23 11:24:34 IST 2006

On Friday 22 September 2006 21:37, krishnakant Mane wrote:
> On 22/09/06, Dinesh Shah <dineshah at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I completely agree with you Rony. When you attack your opponent
> > you are generally seen in poor light.
>
> Roni and dinesh, please read my previous email and also one more in
> this same thread.  I clearly mentioned I am not attacking any one.
> I just want to market the truth.
>
> > Indeed, instead of a rant show them what is possible and what
> > "advantage" the customer is going to get.
>.  I have already given a money back
> promis to a person that in next 6 months

That is one more tactic I follow and forgot to mention. If i feel the
customer is a fence sitter, I make the offer of pay after things are
working satisfactorily. But make absolutely sure that u define
clearly what is satisfactory and expect to show 50% more than that
definition.
Also regarding hostile hardware vendors, I have the advantage of
casual name dropping on past projects and huge experience in the
industry, which invariably hangs the guy like an XP box - only a boot
will help him.

> there will be no virus
> attack on his complete linux machine, and unless there is no big
> issue the system will work very well in general.
A virus attack sends out confidetial info. Besides, a doze box sends
data any way. And nothing like a live demo of exploits.

Setup a linux proxy.
Setup the client doze box to connect to the net via the proxy
tail -f /var/log/squid/access.log on the linux box.
U will find windoze / AVG / Norton / sundry trojans sending packets to
the yonder.
Tell the small biz man about how he is mince meat. Tell him that the
IT dept just floated a tender for 20K machines and the ST guys are
employing net spies to snoop his data. Tell him this is the simple
test. There are other methods like backdoors / dns spoofing / unicode
exploit (forgot what it's called) / add your scaremonger thing.

If the customer is ok but the hardware guy is a problem  ask him to
attack your machine and offer to do the same to his machine - by
software ofcourse. Good ole "lets u and me fight". everyone loves a
good fight no. Of course load several exploits on to your machine for
just such a demo. There are tons on the net.

Krishnakant u are making us into mecenaries ;-).

--
Rgds
JTD