[ILUG-BOM] Re: want to install yahoo messenger on ubuntu 6.06 how

mehul mehul.forums@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Sep 20 22:27:33 IST 2006

On 9/20/06, krishnakant Mane <researchbase at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20/09/06, Roshan <d_rosh2001 at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> > Kubuntu has Kopete pre-installed, so using Kopete
> > would be the best option.
> what is Kopete?
> is it the yahoo messenger version of gnu/linux?
> will the list of yahoo friends appear with it?
> and by the way it is a ubuntu desktop.  so is there no way to use
> yahoo messenger on a ubuntu desktop?
> Krishnakant.

Kopete and gaim are messengers which support multiple protocols like yahoo,
msn, jabber, icq,irc  and more.
Yahoo do supply with a version of yahoo messenger for linux platform. But,
the last version of it was released ages back. IMO, it is better to use gaim
or kopete to connect to yahoo then the messenging client supplied by
yahoo. It is possible to see the full friends list with these clients.
It is possible to install yahoo messenger in ubuntu or any other linux
distro. It is some dependancy that is missing. It can be known by starting
messenger from the terminal that which dependancy is missing. I guess it
will be GTK 1.2.