[ILUG-BOM] Re: Installation voes.

Devdas Bhagat devdas@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Sep 20 00:42:23 IST 2006

On 20/09/06 20:58 +0530, Rony wrote:
> krishnakant Mane wrote:
> >On 19/09/06, jtd <jtd at mtnl.net.in> wrote:
> >915 docs are NDA afaik. So avoid it like the plague.
> >correct me if i am wrong.
> >exactly jtd, the problem with that board is not of linux but I have
> >the same problem with one of my clients on windows xp machines also.
> >the display and lan are the major problem.
>
> The point I am trying to make is that by now linux should be developed
> to atleast that decent level where it can be installed on any
> regular/popular motherboard without having to experiment with different

As soon as hardware manufacturers start providing drivers under the GPL.
Please note that without drivers from the manufacturer, Windows doesn't
work either very often.

> distros. What's the point of freedom if I can't choose my favourite
> distro ( That too a 2006 release) for a new motherboard. Just as in

The point is that you can create your own drivers, paying with your time
or hard cash. For some of us, that whole freedom thing is a bit more
important than running on the latest and greatest hardware (and yes,
_all_ my hardware works with Linux the day I buy it).

Devdas Bhagat