[ILUG-BOM] Re: challenge: customise ubuntu basic system to run from USB disk

jtd jtd@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Sep 19 13:31:06 IST 2006

On Tuesday 19 September 2006 12:32, krishnakant Mane wrote:

> ok 64 mb nopix on a flash card or usb stick is good enough.  but I
> need to do the following.

U mis understood. There is no 64 mb knoppix. But u could customize
knoppix easily.

> 1. customise the distro to lonch my custom menu driven application
> instead of standard bash.

does your app require X or is it CLI?.
If X then what wm? suggest FVWM or XFCE.

> 2. put my own kernel instead of the one coming with it.
> I don't want heavy modules and other softwares that may be coming
> with nopix.

U get rid of unwanted modules by simply recompiling the kernel.

> and thirdly, I need to put speach synthesizer like
> festival.  the card is 512 mb so no problem on that.
> will I be able to do all this with that nopix 64 mb distro?
> and I came across a bootloader called extlinux
> may be that will help me some how.

Not needed actually.
If this is a regular thing u can keep one usb for creating grub
bootable usb as follows:
plugin bootable usb. Switch on machine when the led on usb starts
flickiring plug in new usb (which u have preformatted to the same fs
as the first usb and copied /boot/grub).
when the grub menu shows up type c. At the grub prompt
root (fd1)
setup (fd1).

--
Rgds