[ILUG-BOM] a funny insident with me, gnu/linux debate.

jtd jtd@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Sep 18 13:14:08 IST 2006

On Monday 18 September 2006 11:56, Devdas Bhagat wrote:
> On 18/09/06 11:11 +0530, jtd wrote:
> > On Monday 18 September 2006 03:32, Devdas Bhagat wrote:
> > > Most non toy routers run IOS or JunOS (not that Linux
> >
> > That apart EIGRP is the default protocol on the routers and is
>
> Only Cisco shops use EIGRP internally. Most people use OSPF or
> ISIS. And the public Internet runs on BGP.
>
> > patented. IOS is a mangled version of the BSDs. In a previous era
>
> JunOS is FreeBSD + drivers.
>
> > when mem was a constraint it would have been useful. Today a 1GB
> > usb would allow a full blown distro to reside on a router.
> >
> > > _can't_, it just doesn't have the hardware support).
> >
> > ??. U can use a run of the mill x86 box. The useable bandwidth is
> > 25mbps on the PCI bus. So with suitable interface cards that
> > would
>
> 25 mbps shared over everything _is_ a toy router. Think DS3, OC3 or
> better. And then all your packets have to go to the CPU. Linux is a
> good CPE router, but it definitely isn't there for anything beyond
> that.

But that is what makes the bulk markets. In which case one would have
to go up to PCIE. Honestly tho i havent even seen the numbers,
availability or costs as yet.

> The PC architecture simply isn't suitable for pushing large numbers
> of small packets around. Not the fault of Linux.

> > make a decent router. Not to mention all the other goodies that u
> > could addon. U would excuse the power consumption though.
>
> A decent low end router (at which point you can put in an arm chip
> and get really low power consumption.)

The idea is to be able to use COTS hardware available anywhere. ARM or
other archs are not widespread or cost effective here as yet.

--
Rgds
JTD