[ILUG-BOM] RMS in Mumbai

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray debarshi.ray@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Aug 16 08:43:08 IST 2006

> no, i havent read the GPL. The first software i released was on CPAN
> - for license i just put 'same as perl'. Later, for my sf projects i
> chose GPL because it was the first choice on the sf list.

So is not 'F' the first character of FOSS? And dont you use NRC-FOSS
as your signature? If you have not read/understood the GPL then that
'F' does not make any sense to you. Before going any further, let me
tell you such behaviour will severely reduce your credibility.

> people who write FOSS code are too busy to bother themselves with the
> complexities and nit picking of the GPL and prefer a less obtrusive
> license which allows them to concentrate on what they do best -
> producing code. So I will probably be shifting my projects to a BSD
> style license in the near future.

Ah. Brilliant. Concentrate on what they do best? Why dont you go to
Microsoft. They have projects in Sourceforge, and the best thing is
they will give you one laptop and a desktop (the very best ones) plus
a fat paycheck. That will ensure you can keep concentrating on your
code, and reap the benefits (point 13 of BG's mail).

>> Write code for Microsoft or Apple?

> a suprising amount of foss code *is* written for those platforms -
> see the top 20 on sourceforge

Thats what. Microsoft IS the place for you. By the way Microsoft took
its TCP/IP stack code from a BSD-style license only.

> Kenneth Gonsalves
> Associate, NRC-FOSS
> lawgon at au-kbc.org
> http://nrcfosshelpline.in/web/

NRC-FOSS, eh?

Cheers,
Debarshi
--
"I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep.
That's deep enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas?"

                                     -Jean Kerr