[ILUG-BOM] RMS in Mumbai

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Aug 16 07:39:23 IST 2006

On 15-Aug-06, at 4:52 PM, Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray wrote:

>> true - i started using linux in 1996, and the first time i heard
>> about RMS was around 2002. And so far i havent read a single thing he
>> has written - although i have read almost everything ESR has written.
>
> Not even the GNU GPL? So you know about 'The Cathedral and The
> Bazaar', while not having read the GNU GPL? I do not have words to
> describe this.

no, i havent read the GPL. The first software i released was on CPAN
- for license i just put 'same as perl'. Later, for my sf projects i
chose GPL because it was the first choice on the sf list. Nowadays, i
find that i use apache, postgres, subversion, python and django -
none of them released under GPL. I am leaning to the view that most
people who write FOSS code are too busy to bother themselves with the
complexities and nit picking of the GPL and prefer a less obtrusive
license which allows them to concentrate on what they do best -
producing code. So I will probably be shifting my projects to a BSD
style license in the near future.

>>> it's about the whole society. No matter how many ``Linux'' users are
>>> there in this world or how many companies support ``Open
>>> Source'', the
>>> whole Free Software revolution will remain a failure as long as we
>>> don't understand what Freedom is.
>
>> i beg to differ - it will remain a failure in India at least until
>> people stopped sounding off and started writing code
>
> Write code for Microsoft or Apple?

a suprising amount of foss code *is* written for those platforms -
see the top 20 on sourceforge

--
regards

Kenneth Gonsalves